Monday, September 3, 2018

How I Got Into Romance



Hey everyone!
So, yeah, this is kind of an interesting way of how I ended up reading romance.  When I was a kid, my sister and I went for piano lessons on a horse farm.  While I was waiting for my sister, I would often be bored and started reading the books on the shelf.  They were Christian romance by Janette Oak.  Once I realized that I liked these stories, I ransacked my local public library that I could get to easily for Janette Oak.  I ran out rather quickly.  When I got to high school, I discovered fantasy and took my escapism in that form.  It wasn't until university at Wilfrid Laurier University that I rediscovered romance.  My "rediscovery" wasn't until university that I found a fellow romance afficiando (Leah, you had better be reading this!).  There was this great second-hand book store in a plaza close to the University.  Although I liked a number of books by Sandra Brown, the only one I owned was this one:

Hidden Fires: Brown, Sandra

Actually, that's not true.  There was another one I owned by her, but I don't remember which one it was because I reread Hidden Fires so many times.  This was my first experience with historical romance novels.  I loved this book!  It was amazing.  Now I can't find it in any of my boxes and it makes me sad because it saw me through so many tough times.  I don't really like any of her newer works.  This book was my favourite.
I ended up giving up all pleasure books while I was at school.  Then, once I was done and ended up working at a library, I rediscovered romance novels and I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK.  Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy.  However, while I love fantasy books that are thousands of pages long, I can achieve the same level of escapism and have waaaaay more romance novels that can scratch the same itch while waiting for the next fantasy novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment