Monday, March 27, 2017

Review: The Bear and the Nightingale



The Bear and the Nightingale

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

This book was amazing! I actually don't know a lot of Russian fairy tales, although I am familiar with "East of the Sun, West of the moon". I wasn't sure exactly how this book was going to go because as the story progressed, it was entirely possible for the story to have used different tales at several points. It wasn't until the very end that the story took on a form with which I am familiar.
The story tells stories within the story. It is also interesting to learn about the different Russian fairy-tale helpers. The demovoi seems similar to a Brownie from other folklore. This is also interesting as it is a fairy-tale set in a historical real-world setting instead of a fantastical setting.
Although anyone who likes fairy-tales will enjoy this story, I believe that readers of Mercedes Lackey and Jane Yolen will especially like the writing style.

PS
Sorry about the late post as I seem to have contracted a cold or form of the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment