Sunday, May 3, 2015

Why Terry Pratchett Is One Of The Best Fantasy Authors

So I want to tell you all about one of my favorite authors.  As mentioned in my previous post, it was my cousin who introduced me to Terry Pratchett.  I read that first book (Guards!  Guards!) and absolutely fell in love with Terry Pratchett’s writing style.  It made fun of so many of the fantasy conventions that I loved.  When I was trying to describe him to my family, I said that he was like the Douglas Adams of fantasy.  Sadly, he passed away recently and fans reacted at once on social media, even to the extent of creating code so that he could live forever in the Internet!  In addition, The Economist wrote a wonderfully hilarious obituary for him.

Now, as mentioned, the first book I ever read by Terry Pratchett was Guards! Guards!  After that, I started reading as many of his books that I could get my hands on!  My other favorite series are Going Postal and the Tiffany Aching series, starting with Wee Free Men.

The original City Watch or Guards series is a trilogy.  The first book is Guards!  Guards!, the second book in the series is Men at Arms and the third book is Feet of Clay.  I highly suggest starting off with this series as events that happen in Feet of Clay are reflected in the Going Postal series.  The reason that I mention the original is that Terry Pratchett took one of the main characters from the books, Sam Vimes and gave him his own series which is centered on him rather than the City Watch. 

          


Going Postal is a hilarious book about Moist Von Lipwig, a con man who is "hired" by the government to run the Post Office on pain of death (again).  This seems fine until he finds out what happened to the previous Post Masters AND also has to contend with the Clacks company’s CEO.  This is the first book in what has been termed as the "Moist Von Lipwig" series or Moist for short.

          


The Tiffany Aching series is actually a teen series.  To get a good idea of what Wee Free Men is about, please check out this book trailer that I created.  It is a wonderful series based on Celt traditions.

   
   



As for standalone books (Discworld, but not a smaller series), Hogfather is one of the best!  It is hilarious and incorporates the origins of our Christmas.  I highly suggest making time around Christmas to watch the the mini-series.



And my husband highly suggests Good Omens so long as you can handle people making fun of the book of Revelations.  Also, this book is co-written with Neil Gaiman, who is also a great author.


If you have very young readers, I highly suggest The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents.  This is a Carnegie award-winning book based on the story of the Pied Piper of Hamlin, but with Terry Pratchett's usual twist.  He also wrote a number of short stories, then hid them in his closet.  These stories were collected into Dragons at Crumbling Castle and includes two stories about The Carpet People, the title of the first book he ever wrote, which was meant for children.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment