Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

This is an excellent book.  It is about a boy who lives on the Spokane reservation in the USA.  After an incident where he throws a book and breaks a teacher's nose, he is encouraged to get off the reservation and go to school elsewhere by the aforementioned teacher.  Since the closest school is in the nearby town and is populated by Caucasian people solely, it is a big adjustment for him.  At the exact same time, he is regarded as a traitor by the other Aboriginal people who live on the reservation.
I initially decided to read it because I thought it was about a person who was of mixed heritage and I thought that I would relate to that.  When I realized what the book was actually about, I decided to read it anyway because it sounded really interesting.  I did relate to the main character in the book, just not in the same way that I thought I would.  I also liked the cartoons that were drawn by the main character scattered throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment