Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Response to Rutherford's Article

One of the items that we discussed in my collection development class is how a number of these superconglomerate companies own publishing houses so that once a book is released, it can immediately be turned into a movie.  Books that are not owned by publishing houses can later be re-published with a new cover featuring people from the movie.
Of the readers that are described by Elberse, I would have to say that I am a little bit of both.  I am a fairly heavy reader, but I also tend to stick to particular genres.
Social media does have the potential to engage teen readers.  If Terry Pratchett had a blog when I was younger, I would have probably participated in that.  This does not apply to just books, either.  A number of web comics have competitions around this time of year for the best date for Valentine's day.  The winner is usually rewarded with being drawn into the comic as well as having their idea featured for the strip.  Although some of the web comics are considered more adult, I feel that some of the web comics that are written for teens could easily do something similar.
The idea of how the Internet has changed the idea of authors' images is very true.  Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors and there are several sites devoted to him and to his books.  A number of them include a biography and bibliography.
Rutherford's article concentrates heavily on Stephanie Meyer and the phenomenon of the Twilight series.  Although it is true for her, it is also possible to apply the concepts in this article to any other popular YA author.

No comments:

Post a Comment