Monday, February 7, 2011

Forever by Judy Blume

I read this book with a fairly open mind.  I really liked that it was really short, but showed how people can change in such a short period of time.  This book is all about first love and first experiences with sex.
I liked the realism of the scene where Katherine, the main character, loses her virginity.  I also like the advice and suggestions that she gets from the doctor when she wants to start the pill.  I thought there were somewhat unrealistic parts that had to do with sex.  I really liked the forward that came with the edition of the book that I read because it discussed what other advice the doctor would likely give her in the modern day to keep her safe from various STDs or VD (venereal disease) as it called in the book.
In terms of emotions, it was very realistic and it showed how people can change and grow.  It was not just the realism of the scene where she loses her virginity, but also the realism of life and the reactions to certain circumstances.  Her emotions are portrayed very realistically since it is written in the first person and so she tells the reader exactly how she is feeling and what she is thinking.
When I was in teacher's college, I was taught that as a part of Phys. Ed I would likely have to give THE TALK to (hopefully) only the girls in my class at some point.  However, I think that this book would serve as an excellent introduction to the topic and then move into a more specific direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment