Monday, February 25, 2019

Book Review: Earl to the Rescue by Jane Ashford


This was an interesting experience for me as this is actually a reprint of a much older book by the title of Gwendeline.  One of the reasons that I love Jane Ashford is that she writes marvelous characters and while there is chemistry between the characters, there aren't any sex scenes.  It was interesting to see the difference in characters between her older book and her more contemporary ones.  I find Gwen to be something of a widgeon, but at least she fights back when the situation calls for it.  Not my favourite protagonist, but at least she isn't constantly having fits of the vapours and fainting constantly.  My favourite character was the Countess of Merryn.  She is quite literate and has the most interesting discussions in the book.  I think I need to track down some Rousseau and add it to my TBR list!
Due to the irresponsibility of her parents, Gwendeline Gregory is now an orphan and is about to be tossed out on the street.  When Alex Audley, the Earl of Merryn comes and offers to help her out with a house and income put together by a group of her father's friends (the first example of crowdfunding!)  As she is out of choices, she says yes and goes to live with the Earl of Merryn's mother who intends to bring her out in society.  However, Gwen is suspicious of Alex as there is no proof of the secret partners.  When someone in society sets out to ruin her, will the Earl come to the Rescue?
I would suggest this to people who like books that have interesting plotlines and who want a decent love story without sex scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment